Monday, September 15, 2008

Never a Dull Moment...

Never a Dull Moment….

“Life with you is never monotonous…” said Orit…
“You mean life is interesting…”I responded…
“No, I said not monotonous… and there is a difference…”
I guess, in her way, she wanted more monotony or more structure… while I was going gung ho… ready to conquer the world…

When we moved to Paris… Orit was elated… being born in France it was a homecoming… she knew the language (French was her mother tongue)… she knew the brand names in the supermarket… in the markets etc. … We often went to the movies,… and to dinner after… Paris had a multitude of cinemas… and more restaurants to explore…

Work was hard in the first couple of years… I traveled a lot… I counted one hundred and eighty four flights in the first year… unfortunately in that era frequent flier mileage were yet to be invented…
I had appointed a network of distributors throughout Europe… and I kept hammering on their heads to go after every single customer… my hundred percent doctrine…
We were successful… and these distributors made a lot of money… the other reason for our success was my switching focus… Once the smaller customer’s needs were taken care by the distributors… I focused on the larger customers… by utilizing the distributor as local agent… since the distributor was so successful with their hundred percent… they cooperated very willingly…

Once we were successful throughout Europe… I reminded my boss that he had promised to sponsor my move to California… when we get a majority of the European business… and I showed him that, after three years, we had sixty five percent of the market…

So I moved to the US… It was the summer of Seventy Eight…

No comments: