Tuesday, September 16, 2008

America

America


So we moved to America… land of opportunity… and we left France…land of holy food… I remember making the rounds telling the key customers I was moving to the USA… One of these customers Mr. Claude Maurice gave me an unexpected answer… he was a traditionally French businessman… “vieille France”…
He said “Mr. Adam you are right to leave France, because in this country… you are either a crook or a fool…If you succeed you must have done something illegal… and if you fail you must be a fool for failing… “

Why did I move to California… leave a land with such history… a land with such culture… and ultimately a land with such good wines… As I tell the people who ask… culture goes with wine very well… when you sit with a friend and a bottle of wine… the discussion as always full of culture… as far as history… what history… the only really historical artifact I can see in Paris is the Obelisque in Place de la Concorde…

Having said that… I was moving in the opposite of Kafka… Italy translated Kafka into Latin first… then into Italian… and tried to adapt it to the Pax Romana… Israel took Kafka as the Jewish Guide to Government… While the French are still believing that Charles De Gaulle’s “Grandeur” is still the guiding principal ruling France…

What I found coming to the United States is a “can do” attitude throughout the Silicon Valley… without any prejudice on being a fool or a crook…

No comments: