Friday, September 12, 2008

Hebrew University

Hebrew University…

Life in academics… a vacation from everyday life pressures… almost…
In addition to my TV repair… during the second year I secured a job as research assistance with my favorite professor… initially, I had to go through the University Microfilm publication and find anything dealing with Japanese economics… I also used the mainframe computer tabulating data… it was very interesting and tempting… tempting to go for a Masters in Economics…

One day Professor Blumental called me in and asked me if I would be interested in going to Japan for a four year period… apparently he was in discussion with Moshe Zandberg (later Zambar) who was Director of the Ministry of Finance… his offer was to send to Japan, as Commercial attaché… a person who is well versed in Japan’s economy and who could focus on promoting commerce between the two countries…
It sounded appealing… so I said yes, lets continue to explore…

Unfortunately Mr. Zandberg was promoted to Director of the Bank of Israel… and his successor had other priorities in mind…

I was still looking at going somewhere for a Masters… but I had to finish my classes… One class that I disliked was Managerial Accounting… At the eve of the final exam… I tried to join some friends for study… and I almost abandoned… I went to the test anyway… There were two questions worth 20% each… and one question worth 60%… I answered the two small questions… and wrote on the test sheet…
”Please note that my daughter was born four days ago and it was impossible for me to prepare for the test”…
…I passed the test with 51%… Thank you Gal…

The birth of my daughter changed a lot… in my perspective of life…
It’s time to take life seriously and find a job… a real job…

Luckily, Robi called me from Haifa and offered me a job in a new computer company called SDSI… they were making disk drives and needed a Sales Engineer…




No comments: