Monday, September 8, 2008

Eilat

Eilat…

As I decided to become a university student I left the kibbutz and returned to Haifa and to Elbit….I needed money for my studies so I went back to work… I was excited to know that I was going to university in less than a year… meanwhile I was a twenty four years old happy camper…
One day as I was working my boss came in the lab with a young guy… clearly a volunteer who came to Israel after the six day war… and looking at the possibility of settling in Israel… my boss said “Ivo this is a volunteer from Italy”… It turned out that the volunteer was Robi Osimo with whom I went to ORT school in Milano…
Robi met Helen in the kibbutz they were volunteering and decided to get married… Robi got a job at Elbit and settled in Haifa… where he still lives… with his three children and a multitude of grandchildren…

In the spring of sixty eight, together with Robi and two other couples we decided to drive to Eilat for Independence day week-end… I was the only one single… but that was the last of my worries… “I’ll pick one at the beach,” I said… And that is exactly what I did… I eventually married Orit… and we remained a couple for eighteen years…

No comments: