Thursday, September 11, 2008

Eilat... and Beyond

Eilat… and Beyond

That is how I met Orit…. On the beach… we were in Eilat for three days… and when it was time to go back Robi asked me if Orit was coming with us… I asked her if she wanted to come to Haifa… and she said Yes!

And that is how it started… she was living in Tel Aviv… which is an hour drive from Haifa… we were taking the bus… or a sherut (cab) constantly… we almost crossed each other a couple of times… so we decided that it was better for her to move to Haifa… and stay together till University starts… Orit too was planning to go to Hebrew U.
In all these years… it was the first time that a girl “move in” with me… yes I had a multitude of women stay with me… for a few days… or weeks… but that was a first…

It was fun… we really enjoyed each other’s company… went to the movies a lot (it was the golden period of French and Italian movies)… from “L’Aventura” to “A bout de souffle”, from “Clockwork Orange” to “2001 Space Odysseus”… from “Blow Out” to “Jules et Jim”… we also liked going to the beach… and went almost every other week-end to Nof Yam, a kibbutz run beach bungalows resort in Caesarea, on the beach amongst Roman ruins… Caesarea was a main port for the Roman navy some two millennia ago…

Through some friends we found a room in Jerusalem, in Rehavia of all places (one of the most plush districts in Jerusalem)… the room had some furniture but needed a bed… so I went to the old city and found a carpenter on the via dolorosa… which I found very appropriate… a carpenter on the via dolorosa… (via dolorosa is the way another famous carpenter, Jesus, walked carrying his cross) and three days later we had our cheap bed…

School started and I had to overcome two problems… the first is to become a student… seven years had passed since I was a student… I had to get used to studying… that was the hardest… luckily I was studying with Orit in the same room… and watching her study gave me a boost of encouragement… and I got into the mood… The second problem was find a job… it was easier than I thought… I walked to a few TV stores asking if they were looking for a repair technician… and found a job immediately…

Meanwhile we kept going to the movies… and saw amongst others “Les Jeux Interdit”… Sergio Leone’s “Il Buono il Brutto e il Cattivo”… the British movies “The knack” and “Morgan”…

No comments: