Sunday, September 7, 2008

Haifa

Haifa…

So here I am… new city, new country… new friends… new language… new life… I guess that’s how gypsies feel when they move…and move… and move…
For that reason it was hard for me to detach myself from the kibbutz… I was visiting almost every week, hesitating on whether I wanted to return and apply for full membership… was I ready to become a farmer…
I made new friends in Haifa though… and the job was interesting… I found a neat apartment… and became famous for my spaghetti parties… I was detaching myself from the kibbutz… going there less often…
And then the war came… it lasted less than a week…. six day war, they called it… but with a lot of impact…
People die in wars… and in a small country where everyone knows everyone… it affects everyone… in one way or another…
Looking for a deeper meaning in life… I tried to going through the process and decide what I wanted to do with my life…
To decide I went to Netzer Sereni and asked them to accept me as a temporary member for a few months… I also asked to work on the second shift… just to be alone and think… naturally I quit my job at Elbit… I just found it difficult for me to see myself behind an oscilloscope for the rest of my life… design was fun… but it became boring after a while…

It was in the kibbutz… discussing with a visitor… that the idea of going to university came about… Although the idea of going to university appealed to me, the tuition cost was always an obstacle… What I found out from this visitor was the possibility of getting a scholarship form the Jewish Agency as a new immigrant… being assured of a scholarship I had to maneuver getting admitted in the Department of Economics…
I first went to the ORT school in Tel Aviv and have them ratify my diploma from ORT Milano…
With that done… I registered to the Physics Department at the Technion… pending passage of entrance exam…
With that done… I transferred to Physics at the Hebrew University in Jerusalem…
With that done… I transferred to Physics and Mathematics at the Hebrew U…
With that done… I transferred to Economics and Statistics at the Hebrew U…
That is what they call working the system…

No comments: