Monday, September 1, 2008

At IBM

At IBM

Here I was in the world of IBM… It felt like entering the holy temple of IBM… In the orientation class they speak about Senior Management as if they were Saints (with capital S)… and Saints in Italy were considered the genii of the holy cross…
There were two signs on almost every wall… the picture of Thomas Watson… and THINK, the company motto.
This extended family is one you belong forever, even after you leave the company.

It had been over twenty years since I had worked for IBM, and I visited IBM Florida R&D facility for a meeting… At first they were very cold and formal… but after a few minutes I tried breaking the ice and told them that I had worked for IBM Italy as a CE on the 632… I noticed a much more relaxed atmosphere during the rest of the meeting.

Living in Milano offered numerous diversions… and I roamed in various districts until I found one to my liking… it was called Brera, name of the art academy next door. I found much more affinity with the people there… also artists, or wannabe artists, were much more open… especially if I compared them to the IBM crowd I was working with…
Leading a conservative life during the day… and follow it with Bohemian nights was fun, but was getting strenuous… Lack of sleep forced me to take wake-up pills… Metedrine.
I took these pills during the week and slept on week-ends… that lasted for a while…

At work they trained us to write down the time we started a job and when we finished. I remember starting a job, and marking the time, and when I finished I looked at my watch and discovered I had spent two hours on that job… that job usually took twenty minutes…
I realized it was the effects of the Metedrine pills (the precursor to Metanphetamine, or speed), and I had to stop this life… I went to the office and handed my resignation, telling everyone that I was going to Greece on a long vacation… I spent the night celebrating till the wee hours… it was around three o’clock in the morning and I was exhausted… as I was close to a park, I found a piece of cardboard and went to sleep amongst the bushes…
It was some bird tweaking which woke me up… I opened my eyes and saw a few birds about five centimeters away… they were looking at me, as if to say good morning, how are you today…

No comments: