Sunday, October 26, 2008

Tid Bits

Tid Bits

A bunch of observations from my past which I still remember…

CPU… This was a British distributor whom I appointed in mid 1975… the company was run by Tom and David… their salesman Rob was aggressive but very impersonal with customers… and whenever I had a complaint Rob declared that it was because Tom’s support was insufficient… I could have tolerated these minor incidents if the sales were good… but alas… sales were very low... I called Tom and asked him to meet me at the Heathrow Airport Hotel three days later… which was Xmas Eve… Tom and Dave were there waiting for me… They looked somber… They were both convinced that I would terminate our relation…
Instead, I ordered Champagne and told them that I was fully committed in our relation… but I wanted them to go after every customer… for 100% of the market… This relation turned around and CPU was a fruitful customer for everyone…


A few months after I joined SDSI in Haifa , we bought a car… a Fiat 124… it was the first car either of us had… Since I was carpooling to work I seldom used it to commute… One day my boss Moshe said to me… “Ivo, in all the years I worked I made it a point of being in the office before my boss…” now that you have a car you can be here by by half past seven… I answered “…Moshe, I have a better solution… you can come in at eight o’clock… then you will surely find me in the office…” which he did to everybody’s satisfaction…


Wolfgang was an aggressive German salesman… he was working for my distributor Synelec… but for all intensive purposes he was running the show… One day we were driving to Paderborn to visit a customer… We drove through the town which put us about a couple of blocks from our destination… with the building on the first turn on the left… But there was a No Left Turn sign in front of us… Wolfgang, who was more a salesman than a German said
“That Sign is for Other People we can go left…” and we got to our meeting on time… This convinced me to hire him… and have him find his replacement at Synelec…
Of all the people I encountered in Europe… Wolfgang is the only one who is still in disk drives… He figured out, correctly, that with the Information Technology (IT) expanding with meteoric proportions… there will always be a need to expand the storage in the IT Networks…
Good luck Wolfgang, my dear friend… all the best…

No comments: