Wednesday, October 22, 2008

DAWN

DAWN

I started getting into politics in the early nineties while watching C-SPAN on television… there was a sub-committee examining a train derailment on the Russian river… Chairing this sub-committee was a congresswoman from Marin County… she appeared totally in control… and was chewing the Pacific Railroad executive alive… She was so tough and so much in control… that it was a pleasure looking…
I told myself… Ivo, if this woman runs for an office closer to here… I’ll campaign for her… About a year later this woman ran for the Senate… her name is Barbara Boxer…
I called the Democratic Party and got to join a group of her supporters… There was an Arts & Wine festival in Palo Alto a month later and a volunteer was unable to get a table for Boxer… because tables were only for political parties and organizations… we could put fliers on the Dem table…
Wanting to do more I decided to build a mock oil well and put it on wheels, an oil well because Barbara’s opponent was campaigning for off shore oil drilling… On the oil well I put some signs “Barbara Boxer Boxer Shorts donations $10”… I sold out on the first of two days…

The year was 1992… and there was an euphoria on electing women… that started the époque of “My Dad the Feminist…” as my daughter Gal called it…After the election I joined a group which came out of Boxer campaigners… This group called itself DAWN… for Democratic Activist for Women Now… DAWN’s grass root charter was to get women elected in office and bring up women’s issues whenever needed…
After some time I got myself elected in the DAWN Board… I used to joke with them and called myself the “Token Male” in the Board…
After a few years in DAWN I received the GEM Award… GEM meaning Greatly Enlightened Male… but that was the period where I had started with crack… and lost my sense of direction… by direction I mean direction through life…




No comments: