Monday, October 27, 2008

Friends 2

Friends 2

Alan K I met Alan in the Bowling Alley in Haifa… He was an engineering student at the Technion…. When I joined SDSI in 1971… Alan was there working in engineering…. I later found out he was in Toronto and spent a few days during a vacation trip in Canada in 1982… He has two daughters, Imbar and Ortal, about the same age than Gal and Sharon… Alan moved to Chicago and I tracked him down a few months ago… Ortal lives in Oakland… and he promised to call the next time he is in town…

Irene and Romain C lived in our same complex in Paris… their daughter Delphine was Gal’s age… they were inseparable growing up… the year after our move to the US… Delphine came for a month in Palo Alto… and Gal went to Paris the following year… Romain and Irene moved to Montreal a couple of years later… we keep in touch, sporadicly…

Jair L Jair died about a year ago… he lived in LA and committed suicide in his desperate fight against Vodka… we were communicating by phone quite often… but I was deep in my addiction and I failed to assess the gravity of his condition… Rest In Peace my dear friend…

Michael B An Israeli IT distributor… Some years ago in an interview with an Israeli IT magazine I predicted that IT stores will be like Supermarkets… Michael still remembers that interview…

Pietro B When I started with Shugart Europe… I asked around for an Italian Distributor… and two different people told me that Pietro had just left the Swedish company he was with and was starting his own distributorship… Some ten days later I was in our booth at IT show… the Systems 75 in Munich… and I see Pietro come by asking if I had appointed any Italian distributor… and I said…”Yes you”… That was the beginning of a lasting friendship….

Angelo D When I was with SDSI selling into Europe… we had an Italian prospective customer named DEA… I was working closely with the Engineering VP on evaluating our product… everything was proceeding according to plan… but at the last minute the boss refused to sign the purchase order… I met him briefly and he told me that his equipment cost was one million dollars… and with my disk drive he would save five thousand dollars… with the risk of lacking full compatibility with DEC.. That Boss was Angelo… he had forgotten about that incident… Years later Pietro hired him as Managing Director… So when he introduced him I reminded him of the DEA affair… Angelo is retired and lives in Torino…. I spent a wonderful few days with him last year…


No comments: