Monday, October 27, 2008

Friends 3

Friend 3

Leon M One day when I was at Shugart I received a call from Bob T… Bob and I used to work together… he was now with a competitor… he told me that he wanted me to meet someone… so we met for lunch… He brought with him Leon… and said “Ivo this is Leon and I just hired him to run International Sales… Since you know the business can you give him some pointers…” What was curious about his request was that he was introducing me my to new competitor… and he asked for my help… Leon and I became good friends… I later worked for Leon… with great success…. We are still keeping in touch…

Ferrell S Ferrell once described his job as that of a zoo keeper… who hired a bunch of wild animals to take care of the IT jungle… When Ferrell hired me I was living in Paris… knowing of my desire to move to California… he said “Ivo you get us half the market and we will move you”… with that incentive I worked my butt off… and three years later I gave Ferrell a complete analysis of the European market…showing that we had between sixty to sixty five percent of the market… seven months later I moved to Palo Alto…

Jan P Jan is a Swede and like all Swedes he is convinced that they are superior to any other Nordic person… Jan knew Ferrell so he believed that with his connection he could play up his role… so when I visited him in Sweden he accompanied me to see some Swedish customers… The next day I was scheduled to go to Norway with him… he found some excuse to skip this country… the market is very small…and my man Hogne will take you… Visiting two customers in Oslo the next day appeared to be perfect timing… they were both on the point of choosing a disk drive… after three more visits our sales to Norway were amongst the highest in Europe… even Jan admitted that… he still lives in Stockholm… and I still remember his home phone number…

Dieter S is a typical Bavarian… who believes that beer is liquid food…rather that alcohol… He is also very European who cares for his wine and his Armagnac… One of my successes I can boast was his convertion to the appreciation of Champagne… and since then we have some Champagne whenever we get together… here is to you Dieter my good friend…


No comments: