Sunday, August 31, 2008

W Milan

W Milan

One essential trait in growing up in Milan, or any other Italian city for that matter… is belonging… that sense of belonging you may find in the US when waving a national flag… except in Italy, and most of modern Europe, national flag waving are identified with neo-fascism…
Back to my belonging… as a young Italian male, I had to have a favorite team… Milan (red and black), Inter (blue and black) and Juve (black and white)… Milan and Inter were local Milanese teams… while Juve was from Torino (Juve was owned by Agnelli owner of Fiat)… I chose Milan because red and black were my school colors back in Alexandria, making me a Milanista, i.e. rooting for the Milan team…
The only problem I have with this is that Berlusconi (yes the clown who is prime minister of Italy) owns the AC Milan team putting me, and many others, in a very uncomfortable position… by the way the W in W Milan is short for Viva…

After three years of school, I graduated with a Diploma in Electronics… where I learned basics in electronics and television. As the school end approached I went to the British Consulate and got a list of UK television manufacturing companies and wrote them asking for a job in England, explaining that I was an alumnus of British education system and was looking to live in England…
As the summer approached, I spent two months vacationing in Greece until I received a telegram from my great uncle Edmond indicating that he had a job for me in Cambridge, England.

Cambridge was a dream… it reminded me of the dreams I had of “going to university”. Atmosphere was so relaxed in Cambridge, after the hectic Milano… everybody was biking… luckily after two days I met a guy who had an extra bike… I was living in the east part of town, some six miles out… so the bike was really handy…
Work-wise was less pleasant, my boss felt they should employ a young Englishman… so I went less often to work… and I had lots of fun… until I met by chance my boss’s niece and… I was given a train ticket to Milano … So off I went back to Milano, and found a job as television technician in a local factory.

One way of making extra money was installing UHF antennas on roofs, I had paired with a colleague, who was a carpenter and spent Saturdays and Sundays installing antennas, earning another half salary, if the weather was good…

After some three years as a television repairmen, with various companies… I finally found a job in computers… I was accepted a job at IBM.

No comments: