Thursday, August 14, 2008

The year 2007

Written in early 2008

The year 2007

When I look back at this past year, it is clear that 2007 is a year to remember.
The year started with quite a few questions, like…
What am I doing in this home where the residents are some thirty years older than me…

Little did I look back at the last place I was… with drug dealers knocking on my door in the middle of the night…
I remembered also my legs freezing in the middle of the road, and me thanking god that I was not in a busy street and using a cane is OK.
Yes, I had surgery scheduled for early February, but who knows how the surgery will go…

I was getting out of my compulsive behavior for crack… and, apparently, my cravings had disappeared,… but I missed being an addict…
I missed looking at these addicts and say to myself, I am better than they are…

Now, if I see an addict my look is blank, because there is no commonality between us… my compulsive behavior is gone…

So 2007 is the year I stopped drugs, forever…
After my surgery (mid February), I needed less and less my cane to walk…
Also I could do things I had completely forgotten… like buttoning my shirt, or tying my shoe laces…
I no longer had the fear of my legs freezing…
I WAS A FREE MAN…

The year 2007 is the year of freedom.

I even managed to organize a “nostalgia trip” throughout Europe and in Israel…
I saw my aunts, my mother, and a bunch of friends from the last four decades…

I have to thank my friends and family for helping me finance this trip… and make it possible….
Of course one of my goals for making this trip is to see my grand daughter Dahlia…
She is almost four and is in Jerusalem waiting for her mother to give birth around the end of May 2008…

One of my latest achievements was to stop taking any medication… After 20 years of taking
Parkinson medication I can say… finito la musica…

Yes 2007 was definitely the year of accomplishments…

… may 2008 bring us all happiness, love, good health and prosperity…

…HAPPY NEW YEAR…

No comments: