Monday, December 15, 2008

Shelter

Shelter
Early this morning I was listening to the radio and noticed that they were talking about homeless people and shelters… It brought memories of the times I went to the various shelters… and having to leave at 5am… It was December and the wind was blowing… with a windshield factor in the twenties… and we had to wait outside till 6am… for the kitchen to open… or else panhandle for a cup of coffee at the gas station…
For the less lucky times, when the shelter was full… I spent the cccold night on the 22 bus… because this was an all night bus line…
How lucky I am today… with enough shelter for me to say… I will turn off the heater now, I have enough heat to keep me warm…

All this came to my mind because a friend told me about a social program I can subscribe to… and reduce or refund my Medicare payment of $96… and she gave me the phone number to call…
Thinking of the homeless whose dream is to find a place to stay dry… I said to myself… “There are people less fortunate than I” let me leave it to them to take advantage of this program…

No comments: